Choose from the following topics for your personal statement of purpose:
A. Common Application Topics
1. Some students have a background or story that is so central to their identity that they believe their personal statement of purpose would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.
2. Recount an incident or time when you experienced failure. How did it affect you, and what lessons did you learn?
3. Reflect on a time when you challenged a belief or idea. What prompted you to act? Would you make the same
4. Describe a place or environment where you are perfectly content. What do you do or experience there, and why is it meaningful to you?
5. Discuss an accomplishment or event, formal or informal, that marked your transition from childhood to adulthood
within your culture, community, or family.
B. Gates Millennium Scholarship Essays
Note: You must complete all 8 personal statements of purpose for the scholarship.
Statement of Purpose 1 Discuss the subjects in which you excel or have excelled. To what factors do you attribute your success?
Statement of Purpose 2 Discuss the subjects in which you have had difficulty. What factors do you believe contributed to your difficulties? How have you dealt with them so they will not cause problems for you again? In what areas have you experienced the greatest improvement? What problem areas remain?
Statement of Purpose 3 Briefly describe a situation in which you felt that you or others were treated unfairly or were not given an opportunity you felt you deserved. Why do you think this happened? How did you respond? Did the situation improve as a result of your response?
Statement of Purpose 4 Discuss your short and long-term goals. Are some of them related? Which are priorities?
Statement of Purpose 5 Discuss a leadership experience you have had in any area of your life: school, work, athletics, family, church, community, etc. How and why did you become a leader in this area? How did this experience influence your goals?
Statement of Purpose 6 Discuss your involvement in and contributions to a community near your home, school or elsewhere. Please select an experience different from the one you discussed in the previous question, even if this experience also involved leadership. What did you accomplish? How did this experience influence your goals?
Statement of Purpose 7 Other than through classes in school, in what areas (non-academic or academic) have you acquired knowledge or skills? How?
Statement of Purpose 8 Is there anything else you would like to tell us about that may help us evaluate your nomination (i.e., personal characteristics, obstacles you have overcome)?